Sunday, December 22, 2013

Snow Day, Sew Day - Celtic Solstice Clue 4

My view of my deck this morning: 



Unfortunately my boys are at a KC Chiefs game, so that meant I needed to take care of the snow on the driveway and sidewalks.  I kept going until the snowblower died...I think it ran out of gas.  I got the main part of the driveway and sidewalks, so that was good enough.  Probably not as neat as my husband would do, but he knows better than to complain.
 

Once this job was done, I had no plans of leaving my toasty house for the rest of the day.  Banana bread baking, soup ready for later and plenty of Diet Coke, I was ready for a sew day.

First order of business - Patch Sewing...Chiefs hat, cub scout and girl scout patches.  No mending this week.

Second order of business - Celtic Solstice.  Easy clue this week, especially since I already have 2 inch purple strips leftover from the half square triangles clue.

Cut:

Sew:

Press:


We have a lot of parts now...I hope the Chevrons will be used to frame the star blocks in some way.
 

Next on the list...I am going to get an early start on a present that I need to have done at the end of summer.  This will be for our summer nanny.  She is a education major at Iowa State University and will be a senior next year.  I picked up this kit a few years ago at the AQS show in Des Moines.   I also got the Iowa Hawkeyes and Chicago Cubs version, but those will be done another day.

Confession --  I really don't like fusible \ machine applique, but it has it's place.  I know once I get the applique done, this will go together really fast.   I haven't really used my new machine for applique, and it did really good!


I still have a lot of presents to wrap, but can only do that when the angels are sleeping.  I am off work until Jan 2, so I hope to get a lot more done in the next two weeks!

Linking to Bonnie Hunter @ Quiltville - Head over there to see other Celtic Solstice projects in progress.

13 comments:

  1. Very nice layout for the Celtic Solstice blocks!! I will save it because if that's not the final layout of the mystery I can still use it in the future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout, I am bookmarking this for sure!! Think I'll go play around with my blocks a little and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the chevrons are in the blocks too. I'm thinking the four patches will be in the borders. If her Pictures are any Clue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea for part of the setting and your colors. I look forward to seeing your quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I like the color choices. They look so nice together. Now, if you have figured out Bonnie's idea, you will be so proud of yourself. I like how you arranged the clues. Looking forward to the finish and seeing all of the quilts after the last clue, yours especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the first clue, I thought the chevrons were part of a border. Now I believe the chevrons are part of a block design called "Heirloom". Our next clue will probably by triangles. My favorite guess is http://piecenquilt1.blogspot.com/2013/12/celtic-solstice-part-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colours look great! That is a really nice block layout. I'm really looking forward to seeing Bonnie's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of snowy sew days here, love your colors and the block layout is pretty darn neat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your colors are my favorites, but I just did Easy Street with those, so I went with Bonnie's suggested colors. Your layout looks real cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great block you made with all the pieces, I think flying geese is next to come

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the inspiration, I was a bit tired of making green and orange four patches until I saw the layout you presented. It's awesome, now I'll go back and finish number 4 and begin working on number 5. Love your color choice!

    ReplyDelete