Sunday, December 16, 2012

New Project - Courthouse Steps


I am pulling fabrics for a new project.   



These are all of my Judie Rothermel civil war reproduction fabrics.  Well not all, but the top 225 that made the cut for this project.

Marcus Brothers is sponsoring a contest, and I have been having an internal debate if I should submit an entry.  So a little background on why I am having this debate in my head:

I have been quilting since 1995.  I have had quilts published in American Patchwork and Quilting, I have entered contests, I have won ribbons, I have taught quilting classes and through this I have learned something about myself through the years.  These things took away from the enjoyment of quilting for me.  I found I was choosing projects on how well others would "like" them, not if I liked them or if my family would use them.  I was spending my limited quilting time making things I didn't love.  I took a break from quilting when my babies were tiny, focused on my family and my career, and just set it aside. I knew quilting was not a passing phase for me, it would be there when I was ready, my sewing machine, tools, fabric, but at that time I just needed a break from the commitments and craziness of something that was supposed to be fun, not work.

Almost a year ago, I ventured down to my quilt cave and made quick baby quilt for a friend.  It felt good.  It felt good to sew, create, and give something handmade to someone who would truly appreciate it.  I decided I was going to try to dedicate a little time each weekend\month to work on some projects.  I found a couple quilt alongs on line, and that gave me some easy monthly projects.  I surveyed my stack of UFO's -- at least 15 quilt tops that needed quilting.  I decided to send 2-3 to the quilter at a time until they were all done. I got a lot of sewing done in 2012, my scrapbooking was less productive, but that is ok.

Marcus Brothers is hosting a Just Judie Quilt Competition. The requirements are pretty simple, you can only use Judie Rothermel fabric, which should not be a problem since she is celebrating her 25 years in the business.  I have a lot to choose from.  You must use at least 10 fabrics from the newest line of fabric. The design must be original, or traditional pattern execution.  It does not even need to be made by the person entering, which I thought was a bit strange, but OK, I plan on making and quilting my own project. So the internal debate...why did this contest pique my interest?  Will I be disappointed if I don't win, or even get a recognition?  Do I secretly miss the competition? Not sure why I am drawn to attempt an entry, but here it is.  So I have some "rules" for myself.
  • I am going to work on other projects if I feel like it. 
  • I am not going to feel pressured to finish before the deadline, if it doesn't get done in time, oh well.
  • I am going to do all of the work, piecing, quilting, binding, everything.
  • I am going to pace myself, so I don't get tired of it. 
First goal complete:  Decide on a pattern
Next step: Finish cutting






1 comment: