Sunday, February 19, 2012

Losing Teeth

Our lost tooth count so far for the month of February is three.  Cooper pulled out a bloody tooth on the way to school one morning and it is probably still somewhere in my car. He isn't concerned about the lost tooth payday anymore.

Brody lost his first tooth also. It was hanging loose for several days, and Jeff easily pulled it out one night before dinner.  No event, no drama...until we started discussing the tooth fairy.  Brody got visibly uncomfortable when we started talking about leaving it for the tooth fairy and she would come in the night and take it away and leave him money.  Brody is not cool with visitors entering the house while he sleeps even if they are bringing him gifts, so now the tooth fairy, Santa and the Easter Bunny are all in the same category.

Lexi is feeling left out of the tooth losing excitement.  After Jeff pulled Brody's tooth, she stood right up next with her mouth wide open and said, "My turn daddy, pull out one of my teeth now."  It was really cute, and she was disappointed when Jeff told her she needed to be older for her teeth to start falling out.

With three kids we know we are destined to have years of orthodontia.  Our pediatric dentist always loves when my kids come in for checkups because they always have the rare, less than 1% anomalies that occur.  Great for him to get him out of his mundane inspections, not so great our kids are freaks of nature.

Cooper was a late bloomer when losing baby teeth.  He still is behind the "schedule" of losing teeth.  He also had three front teeth, the square extra tooth was causing the adult teeth not to drop down and force his baby teeth out.  So he had to have oral surgery to remove a front baby tooth we could see, the square stump tooth and subsequently didn't have front teeth for about 18 months.  Luckily as his adult teeth come in, they seem to be fairly straight.  I am hopeful we can avoid braces and get by with a retainer.

 


Brody fell down when he was about 18 months old and chipped his front tooth.  It was loose, wiggly and broken, so I took him to the dentist, but there wasn't much they could do.  The tooth ended up being fine, and did not die or discolor.   We started taking him regularly to the dentist when he was three and found out that his front tooth and the one directly next to it are fused together.  So essentially where normal people have two teeth, Brody has one huge tooth.  They really have no idea how his adult teeth will form.  His baby teeth are pretty crooked too, so I am expecting lots of dental work in his future.


Lexi has "little" teeth but she also has pointy fangs and an overbite.  She looks like a vampire when she smiles.  I am expecting lots of work needed here too.  I didn't do such a good job keeping track of all of her baby teeth.  I am sure I have a notebook somewhere with the info, but I can't find it.  If it turns up I will update this:

No comments:

Post a Comment