Jeff: I could make that, do we have any frozen pie crusts?
Me: No, but we have all the stuff to just make the pie crust from scratch, I think that is the point.
Jeff: I will make the pies if you do the crust.
Me: Ok.
Ten minutes later, the crusts were mixed up and chilling in the refrigerator. 5 days later, they were still chilling.
Me: When are you going to make those pies?
Jeff: You didn't roll out the dough.
5 minutes later, the crust was rolled out. An hour later we were enjoying some tasty apple pie.
This called "Flat Apple Pie" because it is meant to be taken\eaten on the go. So you don't need a plate and fork. It is pretty dry, so you can eat it like a piece of pizza. It is not meant to have perfectly crimped, sculpted edges, which is good, because ours looked very rustic.
Brody ate his whole piece, with lots of whipped cream. Cooper liked the crust, but not the apples, Lexi ate the apples but not the crust. Overall the kids could take it or leave it. Jeff loved the crust. I was amazed at how easy it was to make, although I usually don't have shortening on hand, I will now keep some in the pantry. I also learned I don't have a pastry cutter, I need to add one to my Amazon wish list. So this recipe is a keeper. It will be good for using up some apples. My other go to recipe for apple dessert is regular old apple crisp, that I love, but it makes a lot and the family doesn't love it as much as I do. So the result is I eat a lot more than I need to, or it gets tossed out. Here are the recipe cards:
edited to add: Linking up to Jo's Country Junction - Try it Tuesday - Check out other new things people are trying.


CUTE...I can totally see the same things happening at our house. It looks yummy. I might have to try it.
ReplyDelete