Monday, January 28, 2013

My Hexagon project(s)

Here is another very old work in progress that I recently dusted off.   I used to work on these in the car when we would drive to \ from Chicago to Des Moines.  I found a round metal tin project box with my needles, thread, die cut hexagons, and partially done flowers in 30's prints.  When I learned how to do these I basted the shapes through the paper.  It will take a bit of extra work to remove the paper templates from these. 




Here is the box I keep in the car, same size (3/4 inch) hexagons, civil war fabrics.  I just started this box this month.  I decided I would like to limit my computer time in the evening, and I also wanted a project to have in the car, since it seems I spend most of my time hanging out in the car waiting for kids to finish at their activities.  I really like this tutorial for basting and stitching the hexies together.  It seems like they are going together a lot faster.  I don't really have a goal I just enjoy seeing the stacks of hexagons grow, and eventually see a stack of hexie flowers.  I am also planning to take these on vacation.  I am not sure how I will put either of these together, but I have been watching pinterest for ideas.




When I was on the Paper Piecing site I also ordered some elongated hexagon honeycomb pieces to make a Patchwork of Crosses quilt.  I am fascinated by some of the examples I have seen and the fussy cutting of stripes and motifs in the block designs. I don't really have a grand master color plan for this quilt, I am just going to work each block individually from my stash. I think I would like to set a goal, of one block a month.  


These may be the only projects that I make any progress on during baseball season, and I am actually excited to have some mindless handwork to work on.  Now I just need to decide if this is the year I am going to open up that applique UFO - probably not.

1 comment:

  1. I've never done much paper piecing - it is so hard around here to find the pieces (guess I could order them duh!) I have never seen the elongated hexagon shapes - those are really neat! Especially with the fussy cuts. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete