Sunday, February 3, 2013

January Sewing

I have not had a lot of sewing time this month, and it seems the time I have had has not been very focused.  I find I do better if I have a goal, or challenge to complete, otherwise I tend to be a bit scattered.  I spent some time organizing my sewing room, contemplating some new projects, going through some old unfinished projects and helped Jeff installed some new lighting and shelves.

I sent out two quilts - (Easy Street and Brown Bricks) to my longarm quilter this month.  Getting a quilt ready for the quilter takes a bit of time.  Getting the top prepped - Ironing, serging the edges, cutting the batting, piecing a backing, making the binding, shipping off the package.  Always happy when I am able to get things bundled and out the door.  Hopefully I will get these back in February so I can finish them.

Also small group retreat is coming up in early February.  I like to have projects to a certain stage, so I can maximize my productivity, and reduce my mistakes.  I like mindless sewing and not fussy cutting or complex piecing projects, because I am usually distracted by conversation, but I also like to take advantage of dedicated sewing time so I can get a lot done!

I got all 200+ courthouse steps blocks done.  This was my main focus this month,  I was glad to get all of these done! I will be able to get this top together at retreat. 


I am also working on a kit I picked up at the quilt show last fall:  Grant's March
I have the cutting done for the pieced border and about 30 of the mini blocks done.



Dear Jane - I cracked this UFO open, and will work on it a little each month.  This month I completed 5 little blocks.  These are still oversized, I will trim them up when I start adding sashing and sewing rows.

I spent some time experimenting with some applique techniques.  I think I am going to work on this block of the month - Jingle.  I ordered some clearance batik fabric for background and it just came in the mail.  Here is the start of this project:



Leaders and Enders:  Not many of these little ones finished this month, but a few more added to the pile.



Goals for February:
Finish binding on Easy Street and Bricks Quilt
Courthouse steps blocks to a quilt top
Grants March to a quilt top
Cut out a whirligig baby quilt

3 comments:

  1. Looks to me like you've been really busy! It's amazing how much I get done right before a retreat - getting stuff ready. I have one coming up Friday. Love the courthouse steps. Can't wait to see Jingle. You have great goals for this month too! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. *And* you're also doing a Dear Jane. :) I've just finished frantically finding everything because I haven't touched mine for 6 months even though I'm doing it as a BOM. So I'm taking it with me to a quilt retreat this Thur, Fri, Sat, and we'll see how many I can catch up on during those three days! By the way - your courthouse blocks and Grant's March blocks are done in such pretty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still need to work on my DJ blocks this month. As of last weekend, the courthouse and Grants March blocks are now quilt tops.

      Delete