Sunday, November 25, 2012

Easy Street Mystery

I started quilting in the mid 90's, when Debbie Mumm and Thimbleberries were all the rage and  shops offered block of the months, and mystery quilts were popular. When I first started quilting, I followed along with the trends, eager to learn new techniques and find my style, but my funds and skills were limited.

I recall attempting two mystery quilts.  One I went out and bought fabric I loved and when I put it all together the values were all the same, there was no contrast.  I hated it. The second mystery I used some fabric from my limited stash, I diligently followed along the mystery path, and when it was all done, I hated the pattern.   After two mediocre mystery quilt experiences, I swore off doing mysteries again.  I declared I would only work on quilts that I knew what the end result was so I wouldn't be disappointed in the end.  That was 15 years ago, I guess I should never say never. Here I go, ready to start another mystery project, I will be sewing along with Bonnie Hunter as she posts her new mystery quilt steps.

So I have been contemplating this project for several weeks, but I only decided I was going to play along this week.   I equate it a bit to looking at new recipes.   If I like the ingredients that make up a recipe, if executed correctly, the final product should be edible.

So I am jumping in...I like the ingredients.  I am going with the suggested color choices.  Not my typical color palette, so my stash shopping was limited.  I like Bonnie's "style" - scrappy, a lot of piecing, sometimes small and time consuming, but not difficult.
Lexi went shopping with me and nearly talked me out of purple, blue and green and wanted orange, pink and yellow instead.  I held my ground, even though I probably had enough of those colors in my stash.  I have a lot of white\black prints, so I didn't need any of those.  I had an almost 2 yard piece of gray, but I was worried it wouldn't be big enough, since the first step took a yard.  I picked out a new gray also.  The gal at my quilt shop said...what are you working on, this isn't like your normal picks.  I guess that is a hint I need to step out of my box...and one of the kids might like to inherit something other than an "old looking brown quilt"

Here are my fabrics:

Step one:  Strips, strip sets, twosies, to four patches.






Check out progress on other Easy Street followers at Bonnie Hunt's Quiltville Blog.




2 comments:

  1. Your fabrics look amazing! I love your 4-patches - great black/white prints.

    ReplyDelete