I started following Bonnie Hunter's blog, and really liked the idea of her Leaders and Enders concept. I have always used a scrap of fabric as a "jumper" to start and end my chain piecing. I also got in the habit a long time ago, rather than putting fairly small scraps back into the stash, to just cut them into usable pieces. I usually cut scraps into 2 7/8 triangles, or 1 1/4 strips for log cabins.
This year I have been working with a lot of civil war fabric, and as I
am cutting my fabric, I cut the leftover scraps into 1x4 rectangles. These sit
in a little basket by my machine and I use these strips as my
leader-ender project. I was surprised to notice the other day, my blocks were overflowing the little box I toss them in when they are done. These will finish at 3 inches, and haven't been trimmed yet. I don't know what I will end up doing with them, or when I will be "done". I started mostly using darks, but then realized I could make light blocks also. I love watching the stack grow with minimal effort!
I too am doing leaders and enders but I have nothing particular in mind. I like your idea of the uniform rectangles. I sew lots of triangles together so I have a zillion half-square triangles made but not trimmed. They'll finish around 1". I really like the way you've kept your neutrals together. I'll stay tuned to see the finished product someday! ~Jeanne
ReplyDelete