Monday, January 2, 2012

Lexi's Very Real Baby Doll

Lexi got this baby doll for Christmas. Once we freed the doll from the packaging, we soon realized this baby doll is much like Lexi.  It doesn't stop talking!  What a perfect gift for her, but oh so annoying for us.  This doll comes with accessories that inspires it to keep talking.


Day 1 we had already lost the bandaid and spoon, and spent way more time than necessary trying to find them.  Eventually all of the parts were recovered but I needed to find something to help her keep it all together.  I came up with this solution that doubles as a bed and storage box.

 


Not sure of the cost on this project, because I had almost everything on hand to make this.  Here are the supplies that I used:

Rubbermaid storage container w\lid
Fabric and lace for the bedskirt,  pillow, blanket and fitted sheet.
Foam for the mattress
Elastic for the sheet
Polyfil to stuff the pillow
Velcro to attach the skirt to the box

The first thing I made was a simple pleated bed skirt to go around the box, I also added lace trim.  I originally had velcro dots about every 6 inches to attach it to the box, but they did not keep the bed skirt very taught.  I didn't think I could get elastic tight enough for it to stay put, so I headed to the fabric store to get some velcro by the yard.  I got 2 yards of both 1 inch stick on velcro and sew on velcro.  Notions were 50% off that day, so this was about $10.00 worth of velcro.  I sewed the "loopy" side of the velcro to the fabric skirt.  I used the stiff stick-on velcro and attached it to the box.  It takes a lot of effort to get them detached now and it is not saggy at all.

I cut a piece of 1 inch foam the same size as the box lid, and made a fitted flannel sheet to cover it.  Originally I planned to have the fitted sheet go over the foam and the lid, but we had trouble getting the lid to snap shut.

I also made a little pillow, flannel blanket, and she also uses a little doll quilt that I already had made.  We worked on three other doll quilts that day, but I still need to finish the binding on those.






Lexi has been doing good keeping all of her parts in the box, I didn't need to buy a doll bed and the best part about the storage box \ doll bed is when she gets put away.

No comments:

Post a Comment