Monday, December 26, 2016

Fancy Forest

I am starting a new project.  I fell in love with this quilt at the quilt show a couple of years ago.  The pattern was out before the fabric, and none of the shops had a kit.  I decided to download the pattern from the designer and pull fabrics from my stash.    Bad idea...I think what I liked about this quilt was the fabric in this quilt.  So...I started trying to find the pieces of fabric from these collections.  Nothing was available locally so I found some online.  Last year I made the color chart, substituting fabrics and trying to find solids that would work. 

I also purchased yardage of the background.  This is something I would have never picked in a million years for a background fabric.  It is Kaufman - Essex linen - Olive color. It is a heavy woven fabric, perfect for a guy quilt with flannels, denim etc.  I am struggling with the intricacy of this pattern paired with this fabric, but I am working through it.

So far, I have completed the fox and bunny blocks.  The fox blocks were easy.  The bunny blocks were more complicated, and the butterfly, owl, and hedgehog blocks also look time consuming.
The blocks also use a lot of diagonal corners, so I find that I am switching my presser foot between my 1/4 with a guide and without.   I learned on the bunny blocks to cut them all out and and get the pieces stacked up, and the chain sewing is a lot more organized.

I didn't have the light on above my design wall so this is a bit dark. Lexi has taken over that corner of my room, so my design wall is not very accessible.

Here are my test blocks.  Lexi says the bunny looks sad and I need to fix his smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment