Sunday, October 7, 2012

AQS Show - Des Moines 2012

The AQS Quilt Show in Des Moines ran Wednesday - Saturday.  I took two days off work to enjoy it.  Usually I just take off Friday afternoon, and I rush through it all, and don't have time to take it all in.   I started Wednesday off focused on shopping the vendors.  I really wanted to get a few kits, add to my civil war fabric collection, replace my rulers, and find a good pair of pinking shears.  More about my purchases in another post, but I can certainly say I found most everything I was looking for and more.  I will be busy this winter!   One of the things I love about spending several days at a show, is being inspired and wanting to get home to sew!

Our local guild show is held in conjucntion with the AQS show, and our guild also staffs both shows with volunteers.  It takes a lot of work and behind the scenes effort to contribute to a successful show.   Here is a picture of the vendor area of the show.  The jury quilts were on display in each of the corners of this hall, and the tentmakers of Cairo exhibit, teacher quilt display, and the Gwen Marston display were in the other room.


I always enjoy looking a quilts in this show, they are so different then the quilts I make.  A lot of surface embellishments, shiny specialty threads, wonderful applique, and fancy art quilts that probably don't get taken to the park for a picnic or used as a tent hideaway.

I took a few pictures of quilts in the show:
This one caught my eye, because I am working on blocks from the Civil War Love Letter book.  This is by Shirley Wyngarden from Marshalltown, Ia.

 Super Sweet Ambrosia, Ruth Ann Reynolds:
 

Peace, Love, Tie Dye, Save the Whale, Susan Carlson:

 Jack by Sandy Curran, New Port News, VA.  I wonder if Jack N has seen this?

No comments:

Post a Comment