I actually have a lot to post about this month, and I am going to try to get back in the habit of at least posting once a week. So rather than load up this post about lots of things...I will post later about my state fair entries, my new sewing machine, kids starting back to school etc.
Earlier in August I attended the Midwest Art and Lettering Retreat. I really just stumbled on to this opportunity by chance. Early in the spring I was seeing a few things pop up on Pinterest that caught my attention as I am always on the lookout for ideas for my art journal. These were black and white abstract pen and ink drawings. I started looking closer into Zentangle. I learn best by just taking a beginner class to learn something new, so I started looking for a teacher in my area. I could only find one certified teacher listed, and she did not return my emails. I called the local scrapbook \ art store and they really didn't have any suggestions either. I expanded my search to surrounding states and found that a Certified Zentangle teacher was teaching at a retreat in Minnesota. I signed up that day and went about my life for the next 4 months. Fast forward to August and emails with supply lists and preparations started coming for this 4 day retreat, and I started to panic about what I had gotten myself into. I was going by myself, to something I had zero experience with, to learn about for four days - yikes! I considered cancelling, but am so glad I decided to go!
The retreat was held a Carleton College, in Northfield, Mn. We stayed in the dorms, ate in the commons, and had our classes in another building. The college has done a wonderful job of updating the buildings while maintaining the architectural details of the original structure.
The teacher was Sandy Steen Bartholomew. I am so excited that I took advantage of learning from her. She has written several books, and I really appreciate her laid back approach to teaching art, while managing to balance the other certified teachers while also introducing complete newbies to Zentangle. We started with the basics, and she continued to show us new patterns over the course of four days. We also learned a lot of new techniques and mediums to incorporate with Zentangle.
Here is a picture from our class, minus Tootie from Wi, who took the picture. Students from Mn, Ia, Wi, Mi, Fl, Pa, Wa.
During the three and half hour drive home, I had tons of ideas swimming in my head. How can I incorporate this into my quilting, is this something that I am interested in exploring further, there are no teachers in my state, should I become certified to teach? I am going to keep practicing, and maybe this will be something I would like to pursue further. When I get a bit better, I may even post some things.

No comments:
Post a Comment